Sunday, April 29, 2012

How to have a perfect Saturday in the D


I had such a great ride yesterday. There is no better place
than Eastern Market to get the freshest groceries in town.
Easten Market has been happily selling to Detroiters since
1891. I do my usual loop in the morning and always start off by going to the riverfront to begin with a beautiful view.


Avalon Bakery is the best place to pick up a few loafs of fresh bread. That was my first stop after going through Campus Martius Park. Next I had to get some food in my stomach! Good Girls Goes to Paris Crepes is one of my favorite spots. They used to be the size of a closet with just a walk up window and one person inside making delicious crepes. Congrats to them on purchasing a store front in Midtown and even recently expanding to twice the size and yet it is still a challenge to find a free seat! After having a delicious crepe and perfect latte I was ready to get my groceries.

I don't think people realize all that Eastern Market has to offer until they experience it for themselves. It's not just about the vendors; It's also the shops in the area. The vendors offer fruits, vegetables, and specialty items like kale salad, McClures pickles, herbs and spices, beans, and even popcorn. There are also store fronts that offer even more goods. The list would go on forever if I tried to name everything you can get and not to mention at great bargaining prices. I think many people also believe that Eastern Market is a place for fruits and vegetables but don't realize you can also get fresh cuts of meats. Gratiot Central Market opened in 1915 and is a great spot to find anything from steak to duck to lamb to goat to scallops to chitterlings.

This is the route I go weekly:

 It is a decent ride (about 8 miles) but you are being green and healthy by being on your bike and getting fresh ingredients for your kitchen. Most importantly, don't forget an eco friendly bag to put all your goodies in. Have fun exploring and don't be afraid to bargain.

4 comments:

  1. yay, another detroit blogger to follow!

    this spring/summer i'm trying to get as much produce as possible from eastern market, it's mind-blowing how much fresher everything is. especially spinach, i seriously think i'm addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My latest fav is brussel sprouts. I can NOT believe how fresh they are compared to the grocery store. I now live off of them and have to buy extra because my mom steals them from me. They may not be a fan favorite but I can't resist. Thanks for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been going to the Eastern Market since I was a little girl. For New Year's, my dad would order a fresh chicken from the place that kept live chickens, rabbits, and ducks - it was across the bridge by the big meat market. Also, you might find this article interesting, it's about a guy that rode his bike down every street in Detroit: http://cbsloc.al/pEMVVr

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the article. That would be such a cool accomplishment. Detroit is huge and I'm sure he has seen a lot of different things. Thank you for posting the article.

    ReplyDelete