Sunday, May 27, 2012

My Detroit Secret.... Shhhhhh



Well, I'm going to let everyone in on my little secret today. Every time I tell someone that I live in Downtown Detroit they all respond with the same question. "Where do you grocery shop!?" As if Detroit residents just starve. There are a few markets downtown where you can get the basic necessities. As for fruits, vegetables, and meats, I normally do not buy them from the markets. I'll be honest. They look a little iffy. If you can't quite make it to Saturday for Eastern Market then my favorite place to pick up these items is Honeybee Market on Bagley Ave. It's just outside of Downtown located in Mexicantown. The products here are always fresh and the store is bright and clean. Not to mention the free samples....

Fresh Salsa & GuacamoleAs soon as you walk in the door you get your choice of guacamole, salsa, or pico de gallo. They are all amazing! Who doesn't love a free sample either?
I am also a huge fan of mexican food and of course everything is authentic. Let's not forget to mention that there are piniata's for sale above the vegetables!


Source: http://www.honeybeemkt.com/

May I also recommend Dollar Stores?! You can get a lot of great things for only a buck. All in all, grocery stores shouldn't be the excuse holding you back from moving to the D. There is a Meijer only 15 minutes away in Allen Park. A Kroger is only 15 minutes away in Grosse Pointe. So stock your kitchen up for a few weeks and enjoy living in Detroit.

What's your excuse for not living in the D?!?!


8 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole, I have to say Detroit does have some beautiful historical landmarks. To be honest in answering your question - I use to live in detroit for 16 years, brought my first house and thought it was so nice with a lot of character. But I could tell you some stories about what I've encountered. But in terms of family, its more costly to live in Detroit with car insurance, house insurance and not to mention my mom-radar was in override for my kids. But, they are turning things around and if it were just me and my husband, we would probably be there because it does carry a beauty of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your view and thank you for the comment with your view. I definitely agree and should have been a little more specific with my statements. I would absolutely have a lot more to think about if I had kids of my own. Yes, Detroit is turning things around but it is a slow turn.

      Delete
  2. Hey Nicole,

    It's popular to say "Detroit doesn't even have a grocery store!" but it's nice to hear from someone who lives Downtown that that is a little overblown. Like you said, there are plenty of options to get groceries in the city. Even if the produce isn't the best at all of them, there are plenty of suburban grocery stores within driving distance. With the Meijer and Whole Foods opening soon, hopefully that myth will be put to rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to Meijer and Whole Foods opening as well! Detroit absolutely has it's ups and downs. But people need to get away from the grocery store excuse!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not want to rain on your parade, but I have lived in Detroit for almost ten years, and I have mixed feelings. When I first moved to the D it was okay, but now it is a living hell. I will not get into the particulars, but I have found Detroit residents to be a little spoiled. Where I come from, we never had free ambulance service, and you had to call for bulk pick-up, they did not just show up every quarter on specific date. I think if Detroit resident need to get a new mind set, the D could come back a lot faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries, you're not worrying on my parade. I've been here for 5 years and I'm still loving it. But I also live in Downtown Detroit so I don't know what part you're referring to. Also, I don't think anything downtown would cause someone to become spoiled. Police and ambulance response times have never been known for being exactly favorable. In regards to bulk pick up, doesn't having a set date make more sense financially? Option 1: have residents call when they need it and this could be dozens and dozens of times a year. So you have to pay someone to be available when residents need it in a city that is 138 square miles so the drivers are going all over the place. Option 2: Assign 4 times a year a specific date that you can leave garbage out depending on where you live. Option 2 seems much more organized. It’s actually more restricting because you can’t just conveniently call when you need it. Instead you have to wait until it’s your turn.

    Like I said, you're not raining on my parade and I love hearing other people's opinions. I'm glad you chimed in. If I didn't want to hear others views then I wouldn't have actually asked people what their excuse is. But I haven't seen anything in my five years that makes the residents spoiled. I guess I can't quite grasp what would make them spoiled. I hope you keep your faith in the City. It’s where I was born, where my family is from, and I believe there are beautiful people in the city. It’s what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never really thought about that...Detroit really doesn't have a big chain grocery store. 15 minutes is not very far to drive to get groceries, though...especially if you stock up like you said. When exactly does Whole Foods open?

    ReplyDelete